Saturday, April 15, 2006

I want my themes!

If you've ever toyed with Apple X11, you've undoubtedly noticed that running any gtk apps utilizes a very tortured theme. The classic defualt gtk theme, which unfortunately is the ugliest out of all of them. If there is one thing I am thankful for, it is the gnome beautification project...until that becomes standard for gtk, however, it seems we are as they say S.O.L.

















Being an OSX user, I find gtk's default theme unacceptable. As you can see, it is about the farthest thing from being "aesthetic". This reminds me of the good old days of Windows 95. Heck, even OS8 looks better than this! How can we straighten this out? Well, when installing fink, and installing bluefish (or any gtk dependant app) fink gives you the "sw" directory on your root. In the sw directory is the familiar layout of what you might see in a regular linux distro install. Feeling comfortable, I went into the share/themes directory inside sw. In there I saw to my surprise, a group of gtk themes. In this group of themes was a "Default" directory. How interesting...

My next step was to pick out a theme to supplant "Default" with. AquaX seemed to look nice,
so I downloaded that and extracted the directories. Next I used the "mv" command to move Default to Defold. I then used the same command to "mv" AquaX to Default, and now we have a much more pleasing look to our gtk apps.

Yes, much better indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home